You know what makes it so easy for many people to just dump their thoughts into a silo like Twitter instead of writing a post on their own site? You don’t have to come up with a title for your post.
This site has two types of posts. The normal ones with title and tags. Other are microposts I wrote about them here
micropost is simply an entry without a title (and tags)
This week I’m travelling for work, and hence carrying only my work laptop. So far all my microblog entries were written from my personal laptop
I have option to clone the repo on my work machine, or not publish anything for this entire week (it is not like I publish every day, still ..)
I prefer not to clone my perosnal repo on work machine, and missing publishing also something I don’t want.
After I switched the theme for this blog, for the longest time I had not noticed that when reader is viewing specific post, they do not see the metadata like title, date etc.
When I noticed, I tried some time debugging, but couldn’t figure out why this was happening. So like a good developer that I am, I created a github issue so that I can fix it later (and not forget it)
Blogging I started this blog in Dec 2021, and in year 2022 - I wrote 80+ posts and 8 microposts 🎉 Switched to theme that supports microposts Editor Tried Neovim for few months and went down the rabbit hole Till I found Helix - no/low configuration modal editor Started using Helix Editor exclusively for writing these posts. Still using Emacs for office work Recently I’m using VSCode for work 🤷♂ Art Seems like I drew only one sketch (Analog) this entire year 😱 Purchased a graphics tablet (No screen) Still getting used to drawing digitally Social Media Started using Mastodon Also Pixey Although I have not imported my Instagram posts yet Work/Programming Switched (back to) Zsh after using Fish for a couple of years.
I started this blog using indiefeed theme. But soon realized that the original creator has moved on. They have marked the repo as read-only on github. I had already started tweaking it to my liking, but now changes are more than tweaks. e.g. The original theme did not have good image support. i.e. only images used were in the Author profile image, and it has rounded corners/circular shape, which does not work when image is part of the post itself.
Today I spent some more time modifying the IndieFeed theme
As I mentioned earlier, I started using hugo modules instead of git submodule from the beginning. One of the downside of it was I could not preview my changes without pushing the changes to github first.
Sometimes that might be OK, most times it is not.
How do theme developers work in such scenario. Turns out there is a hack just for that.
Finally, deployed this site.
It took a while because, at first I was modifying the theme to my liking.
As most theme README state, I started with git submodule, but it gets confusing. That is when I came across hugo modules in this post.
But it did not work for me for multiple reasons.
First, I did not understand the difference between specifying theme from repo Vs local, and hugo mod init
I started with indiefeed theme. While it is possible to make visual changes by creating css/style.css (as explained in the README) I’m thinking of making other changes as well.
So I started by forking the theme. So far my changes are only in css/style.css
I’m not a frontend developer. But I know enough HTML/CSS to be dangerous 😆